This went over really well with my roommates. It’s salty, sweet, tangy, and has lots of bacon. What else could you want, right? Apple and bacon flavors work so well together, it’s not even fair.
I know a waffle maker isn’t of the most practical appliances, but it really is fantastic to have. If you don’t have one I recommend you throw it on your wish list.
- Waffle mix, usually with eggs, milk and oil. **Follow mix instructions.**
- Bacon, about 4 strips per person
- Granny smith apples, about 1 per person
- Butter, about 1 or 2 tsp per person ** more to taste
- Few generous shakes nutmeg and cinnamon **more to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- About 1 tsp brown sugar per person **more to taste
- Waffle iron
- 2 large skillets
- Large mixing bowl
Start by peeling and slicing your apples.
Turn on your waffle maker, and make your waffle mix as per box instructions.
Cook bacon on med/hi in large skillet.
Cook till bacon is crispy but not burned. Once cooked transfer to a few paper towels, to drain excess grease and cool. Side aside 1 piece of bacon per person for garnish, and chop the rest of the bacon.
Heat 2nd skillet to med/hi and melt butter. Once melted, mix in spices, water, sugar, and apples. Let this cook, stirring occasionally. Allow water to cook out of the apples. Approx 10 minutes, or until soft and golden.
Once waffle maker is ready, pour in mix and top with bacon.
Cook using your waffle maker’s instructions. Approx 2 mins.
Plate waffle, top with apple mixture, 1 hand torn slice of bacon, and some maple syrup to taste. Yum!