Ooof, this was good. French toast is pretty basic as far as execution goes but there are a few tricks to make it perfect. Start with fresh bakery bread. Something soft. I used multi-grain for this because it was soft but had some texture still. Make sure you really let the bread absorb the egg goop. Add some extras like fruit, nuts, whip cream, bacon. Sliced cooked bananas and chopped pecans did the job today.
- For about 4-5 slices whisk 3 eggs, 1/3 cup (soy) milk,a few big shakes cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk till blended.
- Soak bread in egg mix till bread almost falls apart.
- Heat about 1 tsp butter (substitute) in a non stick skillet on med heat.
- Add bread and cook till browned on each side.
- Heat about 1 tsp butter (sub) in another non stick skillet, add thick sliced bananas and cook on med heat till slightly browned.
- Top with chopped pecans and maple syrup.